Welcome back for part 3 of our Fourth of July series. Last time I shared with you Bow Tie Pasta Salad with Basil Vinaigrette. Today’s recipe is Oven Fried Chicken Sliders. I love this recipe. Truth is, I think I like them even more because they are a mini version of the full sized sandwich. I have a bit of a history with “mini” foods but I think that might be a story for another time…
This oven fried recipe can be used for almost any type of protein you want. I’ve made it with fish pieces, pounded flat pork cutlets, and chicken cutlets. ALL good choices. Trust me. Try them all.
Today, however, we are using boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The chicken is butterflied and then cut into pieces similar in size to the slider buns. They dressed simply with a homemade remoulade and shredded lettuce.
- When preparing these for a party, create an assembly line. Add one ingredient at a time to all buns. Making all of the sliders at one time versus making one complete slider at a time will save you a lot of time and will help to keep your work space neat and tidy.
- On the buffet offer an extra bowl or bottle of sauce on the side for those who need a little extra.
Oven Fried Chicken Sliders with Homemade Remoulade
- 12 oven fried chicken pieces
- 12 slider buns
- Shredded lettuce
Oven Fried Chicken
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts butterflied and cut into four pieces the approximate size of the slider buns
- 1 cup of flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 small shallot finely minced
- 5 dashes of Tabasco
Cut the buns and spread neatly across a clean surface.
On all the tops spread some of the remoulade.
Top the remoulade with shredded lettuce.
Put one piece of chicken on each bottom bun.
Place the tops on the bottoms. Plate and serve.
Oven Fried Chicken
Preheat oven to 400*F (200*C) and line two cookie sheets with baking paper.
Prepare three separate plates. In the first plate put the seasoned flour. In the second plate scramble the eggs and buttermilk together. In the third plate combine the seasoned panko and vegetable oil.
Working in batches dredge each piece of chicken through each plate. Flour first. Egg mixture second and panko mixture third.
Spread crumbed chicken pieces across the cookie sheets.
Bake for 10 minutes
Turn chicken over and bake for 10 minutes more.
Chicken should be golden and cooked through.
Combine all ingredients until smooth.
**For a spicier chicken add hot sauce to the egg and buttermilk mixture OR cayenne pepper to the panko mixture OR go for both!
**Remoulade can be made a day in advance.